Recipe updated 2018!
Qatayef are Lebanese pancakes cooked on one side and stuffed with a variety of stuffing. Qatayef with kashta are filled with a creamy kashta cream stuffing, dipped in ground pistachio and drizzled with rose and orange blossom infused simple syrup (the Lebanese artyr).
This is the kind of dessert that is perfect to take with you to a friend’s place. In Lebanese households whenever formal visits are made, the person invited always brings something along – most of the time it’s dessert – because nobody can object to creamy Lebanese sweets.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3-5 minutes
Size of Pancakes: Diameter of 3 inches (8 cm)
- 1 cup flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1tbsp sugar
- Crushed Pistachios
- Atyr/Simple Syrup (for drizzling before serving)
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Start with the dry ingredients, then add the wet and whisk together.
- Rest batter for 10 minutes; mix and proceeding to next step.
- Heat nonstick skilled or griddle to 375 F and pour batter in 20 cm circles and allow to cook until the top bubbles and dries (~3- 5 minutes).
Tip: you want the qatayef to become golden brown on the bottom and dry on the top so adjust temperature accordingly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool bubble side up before stacking.
- Fill qatayef with kashta by scooping a spoonful onto one side and pinching the opposite side shut halfway OR pinch one side of the qatayef closed halfway and then fill cavity with kashta.
- Roll kashta side into crushed pistachios and arrange onto a plate; serve with atyr/simple syrup
Link of the day:
Like us on Facebook!