Sfouf literally means “rows” in Arabic, so why is this cake called sfouf? Beats us! This cake gets it’s beautiful yellow color from the all natural spice known as Turmeric. Turmeric has been proven to have numerous health benefits and people are scrambling these days to incorporate this spice into their cooking. Turmeric has been shown to have a wide range of antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antimutagenic, anticarcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties.
We love our mama’s recipe because unlike other’s that we have tried this recipe keeps the authentic crumbly texture brought on by the use of semolina flour. We also love the coupling of tahini flavor with this cake so much that we’ve developed a very nontraditional frosting to go along with this very traditional sweet.
For a more fun twist try using Arabesque mold to create this recipe!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 25-30 slices
- 2 Cups Semolina
- 2 Cup All Purpose Flour
Tip: change proportions to 3 flour 1 semolina if you have a preference for less crumbly cake.
- 2 Tbsp Turmeric
- 3 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2.5 Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/4 Tahini Paste (to grease baking pan)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Slivered/Whole peeled almonds
- Pine Nuts
- Sesame seed to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease your baking dish with tahini paste.
- In a bowl add the Semolina, Flour, Turmeric and Baking Powder and mix together.
- In a separate bowl add the sugar, milk and oil and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet mixture, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour your batter into the baking dish, and arrange your almonds or pine nuts as you like over the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Whip butter on high for 5 minutes
- Add tahini and vanilla; whip to combine.
- Slowly add sugar and mix until completely incorporated, then beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down bowl periodically and add milk slowly to adjust icing if too thick.
- Spread icing evenly over Sfoof cake or pipe over individual squares.
- Stores up to two weeks in the fridge.