I fell in love with this shorba (soup in Arabic) at a very young age. Something about the combinations of texture and flavors made this lentil soup score above the rest for me. This shorba is literally called lentils with lemon and that pretty much describes this dish. I promise if you give this shorba a try it will quickly become one of your favorites too. To add to it’s amazing flavor, Swiss chard and lentil soup is a very good source of fiber, iron, protein and Vitamin K, A and C.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 Bunch Swiss Chard – Chopped
- 1 cup green lentils – picked over and rinsed
- 1 medium potato – cubed
- 1 cup chopped cilantro – reserve 1 tbsp
- 5-8 cloves – minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 4 cups + 2 cups water
- 1 lemon – juiced plus one for serving
1. In a medium size pot add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and salt and leave on medium high until half cooked, 10 minutes.
2. Place medium size pan on stove and heat before adding oil. Stir fry cilantro (reserve one tbsp) and garlic on medium heat.
3.Once lentils are half done add chard and potatoes. let chard cook down slightly, and add two cups of hot water. Continue to cook on medium heat for another 15-20 minutes.
4. Add garlic cilantro mix to soup and continue to cook on low heat, until chard is tender, another 5- 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Add lemon and remaining cilantro.
6. Cut remaining lemon into wedge to serve on the side.