Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 3 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a medium bowl add flour, salt sugar and combine.
- Create well in center of flour; pour in warm water and sprinkle in yeast.
- Wait for yeast to activate.
- Add olive oil and mix with spoon to combine.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead until it becomes smooth and elastic; add small amounts of flour as needed if dough is too sticky.
- Place dough ball in a clean lightly oiled bowl to rest; cover with clean kitchen towel and leave to double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; turn out onto floured surface.
- Divide dough into 8 equal size balls and roll out 1/8 inch thick; 6-7 inch diameter.
- Let rest cover with damp towel for 30 minutes.
- While dough rest, place baker stone on middle rack and preheat oven to 500 Degrees F.
- Depending on the size of your stone place dough face down on hot stone (very important step, flip dough over!!!); they will puff up and brown slightly in about 3 minutes.
- Cover pita bread with clean towel and repeat process until all pitas are finished.
- Once cooled store in plastic bag to keep soft and fresh.