Namoora cake is one of the easier, simpler, less time consuming Lebanese dessert recipes. This recipe combines a few simple ingredients to create a decadent melt in your mouth dessert you will crave long after it’s all gone. This egg-less cake is drowned with Atyr syrup warm from the oven.The syrup soaks into the cake and creates a rich dense cake. We didn’ t make this dessert often so when it came to writing this recipe we had to go digging in Mama’s old recipe journal. We’ve made it few time since and through several trials we have improved on our mama’s recipe.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 12 inch pan
- 3 cups semolina #2
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups Atyr –قطر
- 1/4 cup almond halves
- prepare Atyr
- In mixer add semolina, sugar, baking powder, orange blossom water, rose water and honey; mix to combine.
- Add butter and mix at Medium low for 10 minutes.
- Add yogurt and mix for another 8 minutes.
- Spread batter out even in 12″ pan; wet hand and smooth out cake and place almonds evenly spaced over top of cake.
Tip: Alternatively you can leave cake plain.
- Let namoora rest while oven preheats to 400F.
- Bake until golden brown; ~ 30 min.
- Remove from oven and evenly pour 2 cups cooled Atyr syrup over Namooura.
Tip: If you’d like your cake to be a little lighter add 1.5 cups atyr. We don’t recommend you reduce the atyr anymore than that.
- Let cool; cut into individual portions and serve.
- Store in air tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.