We love Lebanese dishes that are nutritious and time friendly. With busy schedules and family activities we rely on these types of recipes to get us through the week. This Chickpea and bulgur meal (برغل بالحمص) is called by many names in different areas of Lebanon but one fact stays the same. This dish is packed with nutrients and flavor. As a bonus this meal could easily be adapted as vegan friendly.
We love to serve it with Cucumber Mint Yogurt!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup coarse bulgur wheat
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp 7 spice
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tsp salt
- Place pot on medium heat and add oil followed by diced onions; add 2 tsp salt.
- Bring heat to medium low and allow onion to cook until translucent.
- Increase heat to high and add cubed beef brown quickly; no need to cook through.
Tip: You can use cooked stewing beef in this step and bonus you have broth!
- Add cooked chickpeas, tomato paste and some beef broth and 7 spice; stir to combine together.
Tip: don’t have any broth? don’t sweat it, just use boiled water.
- Finally, add bulgur and remaining salt, and immerse in broth (or water) 1/2 inch over chickpeas and bulgur.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on medium low for 15- 20 min; stir periodically.