On the vegetarian recipe list – this is one dish we find is often forgotten. We have made fava beans and rice (or broad beans and rice) a few different ways over the years but never really learned how our grandma use to make it until recently. Now this dish has become one of our favourite vegetarian dishes. We love the added flavor the browned onions bring to the dish and of course love the simplicity of it all. If you are looking for simple vegetarian than this dish is for you!
750 g Green Fava beans
1 large onion chopped
2 cups long gran rice
3 cups water
1 tsp 7 spice
1.4 cup vegetable oil
salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice.
- Place pot on medium high heat and add oil, followed by chopped onions; lightly salt.
- Continue to periodically stir onions until they begin to brown
- Once onions are ready, add fava beans and saute for 2-4 minutes.
- Add drained rice to pot followed by 7 spice and water; salt to taste.
- Bring rice up to a boil; cover, drop heat to lowest setting and time for 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice and enjoy with a side of Cucumber Mint Yogurt.